What is an Eco Home?
The green building trend has been gaining ground around the world. It can involve a wide variety of construction and operation attributes that make a building more environmentally friendly than other buildings in some way.
These characteristics can include methods for conserving water, using sustainably sourced building materials and taking advantage of renewable energy, such as solar power. One of the main tenets of an eco-friendly home, though, is energy efficiency.
1. Key Elements of an Eco Home
What’s more, an eco house could include some or all of the following:
- High levels of insulation
- High levels of airtihtness
- Good levels of daylight
- Superior double or triple-glazed windows
- Passive solar orientation — glazing oriented south for light and heat. And, minimum north-facing glazing to reduce heat loss
- Thermal mass to absorb that solar heat
- Brise soleil, deep overhangs, air conditioning and other features to manage overheating
- Heating and/or hot water provision from a renewable source (such as solar, heat pump or biomass)
A healthy indoor environment, which may include a mechanical ventilation with heat recovery system in a highly airtight home
- Specifying electricity from a ‘green’ supplier
- Natural materials and avoidance of plastics
- Rainwater harvesting and greywater collection
- Living off-mains.
2. Renewable energy sources
Finding smart ways to power up our homes is an essential part of keeping up with the times.
Instead of opting for mass-produced electricity, you can make your house energy efficient by choosing renewable energy sources.
There are basically 4 ways to go about it:
- Install modern heat pumps to heat and cool your home;
- Installing photovoltaic solar panels on your rooftop;
- Install solar thermal panels on your roof;
- consider wind power
3. Eco-friendly materials for building a house
Numerous eco-friendly building materials have emerged in the marketplace to reduce the environmental impact of building construction and operations. But identifying the world’s most eco-friendly building materials can be a bit tricky because different people have different definitions of sustainability.