How to improve the memory of an adult?
Are you interested in whether it is possible for an adult to improve memory? Many people think that memory and attention are given by nature, and it only gets worse with age. But this is not true. Each person can improve their ability to remember by training with special techniques and exercises.
Causes of memory impairment
Thanks to modern technologies, now the life of a modern person has become much easier, but at the same time, the need to train one’s own mind has disappeared. As a result, even young people have a problem with forgetfulness.
Because of this, questions arose: “How to improve memory for an adult, what exercises should be done to improve attention, the search for causes, methods, exercises and tips that can really help.” In modern science there are answers to such questions, ways have been developed for pumping cognitive functions for an adult.
Most of the abilities of the brain are the result of its exercises and hard work, similar to sports activities that strengthen muscles. Therefore, to maintain the performance of our brain, it is very important to constantly load and train it.
In other words, good brain function depends on how often and hard it does exercises to increase attention and memory.Failure to comply with these two conditions, we get the main cause of the negative impact on memory in an adult.
Memory impairment. Main reasons:
- Sleep deprivation. The amount and quality of sleep is important for memory. Too little sleep or frequent nighttime awakenings can lead to fatigue, which interferes with the ability to consolidate and retrieve information.
- Bad habits: use of alcohol, tobacco or drugs. Excessive alcohol consumption has long been recognized as a cause of memory loss. Drugs can change chemicals in the brain, which can make it difficult to recall memories. Smoking damages memory by reducing the amount of oxygen reaching the brain.
- Taking certain medications, adverse reactions that are negative for nervous activity. A number of prescription and over-the-counter medications can cause memory loss. Possible culprits include: antidepressants, antihistamines, sedatives, muscle relaxants, tranquilizers, sleeping pills, and pain medications taken after surgery.
- Depression and stress. Depression can make it difficult to focus and concentrate, which can affect memory. Stress and anxiety can also interfere with concentration. When you’re tense and your mind is overly excited or distracted, your ability to remember can suffer. Stress caused by emotional trauma can also lead to memory loss.
- Nutritional deficiency. Good nutrition, including high quality proteins and fats, is essential for proper brain function. Deficiencies in vitamins B1 and B12 especially can affect memory.
- Head injury.A severe blow to the head, such as from a fall or a car accident, can damage the brain and cause short-term and long-term memory loss. Memory may gradually improve over time.
- Strokes often cause short-term memory loss. A stroke survivor may have vivid memories of childhood events, but cannot remember what they had for lunch. A stroke occurs when blood flow to the brain is cut off due to a blockage in a blood vessel leading to the brain.
So what should be done to have a good memory, which will help improve attention in adults? There are many different tools and exercises to support brain performance and increase its practical capabilities.
How to improve memory and brain function in adults
improve memory and brain function in adults
Methods and ways to improve memory
As we get older, the human brain, with its cognitive functions, also ages and deteriorates. The absence of special training, and the result of memory deterioration will appear faster and more significantly.
Therefore, if you belong to the category of adults, then it is useful for you to find out what you can do to improve memory, how to remove negative causes that affect memory and improve attention, with the help of which systems and methods all this is possible.
Here are some tips you might find helpful:
- Try to use both hemispheres of the brain at the same time. To do this, it is worth regularly performing some actions that are not familiar to you, right or left, but with your second hand. For example, if you are right-handed, try brushing your teeth with your left hand.
- Change the constant and habitual course of life. If you are used to living according to the same scenario, then your brain will be lazy to work and refuse to do new work. Therefore, to begin with, change the working route, walk in new places, start meeting new people, come up with a new hobby.
- Constantly learn. After all, memory deteriorates due to the weakening or lack of load on the brain. Learn some new activity that is not related to your usual daily activities.It will be great if you start learning a foreign language.
- A good exercise is to count “in the mind.” Engage in regular solving of arithmetic examples from simple to more complex and simple problems from your daily life. Try not to use a calculator – this is a very good exercise to increase your level of mindfulness. Also, you will soon notice an improvement in the ability to memorize large amounts of information as quickly as possible.
- Learn to relax. Do exercises from time to time that will help you focus on yourself and find inner peace – even 10-20 minutes will be enough. every day, and your brain will surely thank you. The level of depression will decrease, the possibility of rebooting consciousness will appear, attention will increase. Many studies and practices have confirmed the benefits of relaxation for the brain.
You can improve your memory and the functioning of the brain of an adult at home thanks to effective and uncomplicated methods and tips. It is important to do all these exercises regularly so that they become part of your life. Thus, you can increase the level of assimilation of any information, regardless of your age, and push back the aging of the brain.
Exercises to improve memory and attention
Consider some of the best and most effective ways to increase attention and improve a person’s memory, how to learn to memorize in just 5 minutes a day:
- Play with words. Remember the alphabet and name any word from each letter of the alphabet or come up with 10 words for each letter. Then come up with 15 female and 15 male names, 25 fruit and vegetable names, city names, and so on.
- Memorize numbers and numbers. A very simple but effective exercise. Memorize the phone numbers of your family, friends and loved ones. On the street, pay attention to the numbers of houses, cars, etc.
- Read a lot of different literature, preferably aloud. Tell your loved ones what you have read. Thus, the ability to memorize is activated.
- Be sure to memorize poems, songs, texts. Memorize difficult words and terms.
- Download intellectual and educational games to your phone. Play them from time to time, improving your skills and moving to higher levels.
- Solve crossword puzzles.
- Learn the history of not only your country, but also others. Be sure to remember world events and the years in which they occurred.
- Every night before going to bed, analyze the past day, remembering all the past events and conversations.
- Combine fine motor skills and an activity for increased attention. Suitable for this, knitting, embroidery, a collection of pictures from puzzles, etc.
- Buy memory games. For example, how to find two identical pictures among many other flipped cards.
Do all the exercises regularly and constantly, and over time, you will appreciate for yourself how it all affected and helped to improve memory and attention.
Memory Improvement Products
If you are seriously thinking about how to strengthen memory, activate and improve brain abilities, then consider and adjust your diet as well.
Products that are included in your daily menu only affect your health in general, but in particular, memory and attention.
Let’s take a closer look at products to improve the brain and memory:
- Pistachios are rich sources of thiamine. ½ cup contains 0.54 mg of thiamine content. (recommended daily intake) of thiamine for men is 1.5 mg and for women 1.1 mg aged 50 and under. Poor memory may be related to thiamine deficiency.
- Wheat germ is used for age-related memory loss and is a suitable vitamin E fortified food.
- Blueberries are berries rich in antioxidants that can help improve short-term memory.
- Carrot strengthens memory well, as it is a rich source of carotene.
- Eggs contain a substance called lecithin, which helps nourish memory nerve cells. Also, this substance is found in soybean and sunflower oils.
- Fish is rich in protein and omega-3 fatty acids, which are key to brain health. These healthy fats have amazing power.
- Dark chocolate also has other powerful antioxidant properties and contains natural stimulants such as caffeine, which can improve concentration.
- Orange or other fruit juice can improve memory, thinking, and mental ability for a short time.Greens and lettuce leaves contain a large amount of essential vitamins and substances that nourish the brain and protect against harmful effects.
- Whole-grain, high-fiber foods, along with dairy, are also good for improving memory. Studies have shown that breakfast can improve short-term memory and attention. Students who eat in the morning tend to do better than those who don’t.
- Blueberries may help protect the brain from free radical damage and may reduce the effects of age-related conditions such as Alzheimer’s or dementia. Research also shows that blueberry-rich diets improve learning and memory.
- Blackcurrant, rosehip and viburnum contain a lot of ascorbic acid and antioxidants.
We have looked at healthy foods that you need to include in your daily diet to increase attention and improve memory. But it’s also important to cut out foods that are bad for your brain and memory:
- Limit or avoid as much as possible sugar and sugar-containing products that negatively affect brain function, slow it down, and reduce attention.
- Switch to boiled, stewed and steamed foods, refusing at the same time fatty and fried foods, which can lead to various diseases of the cardiovascular system.
- Don’t drink too many drinks that contain caffeine. Over time, they are addictive and harm the heart and blood vessels.
Make a healthy menu that will positively affect not only general health, but also brain function.
Medicinal herbal preparations for brain function
What medications exist to improve memory, how to increase attentiveness in an adult?
To restore and strengthen memory, apply:
- Rosemary (botanical name – Romarinus Officinalis) is an effective remedy for impaired memory, mental exhaustion and forgetfulness. It can be taken as a tea and drunk once in the morning or twice a day to improve mental acuity.
- Ginkgo biloba – (Coniferae) has traditionally been used to improve memory loss associated with circulatory disorders. Extracts derived from plant leaves have been successfully used as an herbal remedy to improve cognitive function and memory impairment.
- Turmeric (Curcuma longa) has anti-inflammatory activity that has also been linked to a reduced risk of developing Alzheimer’s disease.
- Curcumin reduces plaque deposition in the brain and reduces oxidative stress.
- Bindweed (Convolvulus pluricaulis) is used as a memory enhancer. A study has shown that its extract improves memory function and learning ability.
- Coriander (Coriandrum sativum) has shown memory enhancing effects due to its antioxidant, anti-inflammatory and cholesterol-lowering activity.
- Melissa officinalis (Mellisa officinalis) has anxiolytic, anti-inflammatory and antidepressant effects.
- Sage officinalis is effective in the treatment of memory disorders.
Before using any medications, be sure to check with your doctor as many, even natural, medications can have many side effects.
Preventive measures. How to prevent memory loss
The human brain has an amazing ability to adapt and change even into old age. This ability is known as neuroplasticity. With the right stimulation, your brain can form new neural pathways, change existing connections, and adapt and respond in ever-changing ways.
The incredible ability of the brain to rewire itself is preserved when it comes to learning and memory. You can use the natural power of neuroplasticity to boost your cognitive abilities, increase your ability to absorb new information, and improve your memory at any age.
Preventive measures to improve memory and increase attention:
- Regular exercise and outdoor activities.
- Constantly monitor the state of your health, once a year undergo a complete medical examination
- Full sleep, at least 8-9 hours.
- Eat right, i.e. eat healthy foods.
- Watch your body weight, do not eat after six in the evening.
- Add vitamins and minerals to your diet. Vitamins B, C, E, beta-carotene, and magnesium are only beneficial for people whose diets lack this particular nutrient.
- Try to stay in a positive and optimistic mood, avoid negative and aggressive individuals.
If you liked and found this information useful, please share it on social media. networks with your friends and acquaintances. This is how you support our project “Ecology of Life” and make your contribution to the preservation of the environment!